Saturday, July 24, 2010

Lori made me do it!

My friend, the best and fabulously talented (and loyal) Lori Haworth called and asked if I would teach her how to can tomatoes . . . so over she trots with 150 pounds of those buggers!

It took us all day to peel, chop and can. We make most of into quarts and a few in pints. She wanted hers plain, I made mine with onions, peppers, garlic and basil in the jars (Italian style!)

We set the canning pot on the patio so we wouldn't heat up the house (that was a GOOD move!) .

Right now, we really hate tomatoes! Our feet hurt, our backs hurt and my fingers are sore from the tomatoe acid . . . but looking at those rows of jars and imagining home canned tomatoes all winter and all the wonderful things we can make with them . . . YUMM!!

And just before Lori left with her haul . . . she says "Hey, I know where we can get a couple of bushels of peaches . . . " Oh boy! here we go again!

1 comment:

  1. You and Lori should not be allowed out without a keeper! :D

    ReplyDelete