Saturday, November 7, 2009

Doing the right thing . . .

Even if it means you are late to where you are going, smell like a dog and may have fleas.

Friday afternoon, as I waited at the drive up bank window, I watched a small young dog walk from car to car in the parking lot and stop and look up into every window.

Even from across the parking lot, I could see that she was in bad shape and looked so forlorn and confused at every car she looked into. I was late already for a holiday show where I was setting up to sell my cards, but my heart absolutely melted on the spot.

When I finished my transaction, I pulled into the lot, parked my car and went to find her. When I whistled at her, she turned towards me, tucked her tail and slinked away. When I got close to her, she bared her teeth and appeared -- for lack of better words -- hysterical with fear. I finally backed her into a corner of two fences and sat on the edge of the flowerbed near her. Every time I stretched out my hand, she panicked, bared her teeth and screeched. I was so torn . . I was already late, but, could not bring myself to give up and leave her there.

You could see that she was skin and bones and hadn’t eaten for a obviously a while, so I walked back to my truck and found the bag of carrots and a mozzarella cheese stick that I was planning on eating on the way to the show. After a few bites, she decided I was an ok human and let me pick her up. This dog by looking at the breed (near we can determine a boxer mutt mix) and size should weigh about 20-25 pounds, I bet she didn’t weigh 10. She had ticks the size of raisins and every bone was sticking through her skin.

I was envisioning my husband killing me at this moment (we have 3 adopted dogs already). I took her to the local adoption shelter (www.paws pals.com) and asked if they would take her and as luck would have it . . they were holding an adoption clinic in Tulsa the next day. They fed her, dipped her and gave her puppy shots and seemed to think she would be adopted before the day was over. I offered to “foster” her if she wasn’t adopted and needed a home to rehabilitate in (again, envisioning what my husband will say) . . so we shall see.
I will add a picture as soon as I have one.

She is so sweet, despite the obvious neglect and abuse she as suffered. I am always amazed at the ability of a dog to forgive and still be loving after all that. Humans have a lot to learn.

I made it to my show . . a little late . . a little smelly LOL and I’m sure I have a flea or two . . . But some things are worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment