Sunday, January 23, 2011

It is late, I cannot sleep . . . so I am up dreaming. Of green grass, warm earth and gardens to be.

The wood stove is crackling, the house is quiet and I am surrounded by stacks of gardening magazines . . the new Burpee and new Gurney's catalogs . . . dreaming.

"What shall I plant this year?" It always holds so much possibilities (I never have enough garden room LOL).

Last year, I planted corn . . won't do that again. While it was satisfying to watch it visibly grow in the Oklahoma heat . . the valuable real estate it occupies and the fighting the ear worms is not worth it. I think this year, I will concentrate on items I can put up for the winter. We have really enjoyed the quarts of tomatoes, pickles and jams earlier in the year.

This year, I think I will put into practice "Square Foot Gardening" pioneered by garden guru, Mel Bartholomew . . which is getting the most out of what space I have.

I remember reading about SFG in the 80's in The Mother Earth News (for which I just purchased a subscription . . . another danger of not sleeping . . . internet shopping!!)

So far, on my list for spring is LOADS of herbs, green beans, peas, more cucumbers (the pickles were the BOMB), a smaller, climbing variety of cantalope and loads of green onions and salad greens . . . Ooooo and potatoes . . . and GIANT heirloom tomatoes . . . .

I think I need a bigger garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment